Old 05-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
clinton
BAUE Director

Name: Clinton
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1, Tech2
clinton is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to clinton
Default 5/8/2011 Lunaticos Annex aboard Escapade by Clinton Bauder

5/8/2011 Lunaticos Annex aboard Escapade by Clinton Bauder -- [View in Reports Page]

Bottom Team:Clinton Bauder, Kevin Dow
Visibility:40' - 20'Time:10:00 AM
Temp:49FSurge: 
Scooter:X-scooterBurn Time: 
Max Depth:190FSWAvg Depth:160FSW
Bottom Time:0:38Total Time:1:30
Bottom Gases:18/45Deco Gases:EAN50,O2
Backgas Config:Double LP80,HP100Deco Tanks:AL40
Deco Profile:
Deep Stops, 6,4,4,4,4,22,6 Up

We met at the dock Saturday morning with somewhat muted expectations. The wind was forecast at 10-20 building to 15-25 in the afternoon. This usually rules out Carmel and enthusiasm for diving Monterey was low. After some discussion we lost a couple of teams who decided to sit it out rather than burn a lot of helium on a braille dive in the bay. Kevin, Jim, Joakim and I voted to go diving anyway. Good thing we did.

As we got underway it became clear the wind had already died a bit from when we'd started loading. In fact, it there was relatively little wind at all so we pointed the boat south and headed for Carmel. Once there it was even calmer than in Monterey and we dropped the ball at Lunaticos.

I was diving with Kevin. We got off to a bit of a slow start as I noticed when we jumped into the water that I'd trapped my light cord. We fixed this and headed down only a few minutes behind the other team. Once we stopped scootering on the bottom I realized my right post was bubbling a bit and had Kevin come over to fix it. As he was doing this I realized I was looking at a juvenile wolf eel. It was just far enough back into a crack to make taking pictures difficult but a cool find nonetheless

Visibility on the bottom was surprisingly good -perhaps 40 feet. We meandered along the south wall of Lunaticos looking for slugs and other small life. Somewhere in there I realized that when I'd fixed my light cord I'd then fouled my scooter tow cord slightly and we stopped to fix that too. Jeesh.

Eventually my minor gear issues added up to a bit more gas usage than I'd expected and we called the dive 2 minutes early. Deco was uneventful with the highlight being a big sea nettle with a juvenile fish hiding in the bell. Kevin tried to point this out to me but by the time I saw it the nettle had moved up to 15 feet and was too far away from our 20 foot stop for me to take pictures.

We surfaced to a scene that was so placid it was almost surreal. The boat was sitting about 30 yards from us in glassy calm water. The crew was sitting on the swimstep enjoying the sun while they waited for us. We scootered over an leisurely handed the gear back onto the boat. The ride home was as easy as you can imagine.

By the time we finished lunch at the 17th Street Grill in Pacific Grove it was getting windy again so I guess we timed it right. Nice day on the ocean.

Pictures Here
clinton is offline   Reply With Quote