Trip Reports View and discuss trip reports

Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
vsyoung
BAUE Member

Name: Vanessa
GUE Certs: GUEF
vsyoung is on a distinguished road
Default 12/3/2011 East Pinnacle aboard Escapade by Vanessa Young

12/3/2011 East Pinnacle aboard Escapade by Vanessa Young -- [View in Reports Page]

Bottom Team:Clinton Bauder, John Heimann, Vanessa Young
Visibility:80' - 100'Time:12:00 AM
Temp:50F - 54FSurge: 
Max Depth:80FSWAvg Depth:40FSW
Bottom Time: Total Time: 
Bottom Gases:EAN32Deco Gases:
Backgas Config:Double Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

The day started with some whining about the conditions, and potential concern that we would be diving in the bay in some muddy water. We headed out to check the conditions with Mike Minard as Captain and prankster Mikey Bryan. They tried to scare us off and sorta mumbled they wanted to stay in the bay. I had to throw around my weight as "leader" and with a little help from Gary, we decided to head for Carmel.

Clinton, John, and I were first in the water and I heard John say the conditions looked amazing and I thought maybe he was being sarcastic. Dropped to find 80-100ft viz with lots of sea nettles and straight into a large school of blue rock fish. I could see the whole school and the whole dive site. It was incredible. John and I spent some time posing (or attempting with no success) to pose for some pictures for Clinton. We also swam to the other East Pinnacles for a long but successful hydrocoral hunt. On the way back towards the boat it was awesome to be able to see all the other teams of divers. The sea nettles were thick and were dancing in the sun beams.

The surface interval included the usual entertainment, but an unusual lack of food. Too bad, because I know my stomach was empty:/ Instead, we moved the boat about 180 feet and geared up for the second dive.

The conditions were the same epic blue, and Clinton, John, and I found ourself back at someone's favorite patch of hydro coral taking more pictures in the surge. I thought the surge to be particularly fun while attempting photos. Saw lots of big ling cod, more schools of rock fish, and one very friendly sea lion who was giving us a real show. I was kicking myself for not bringing my camera as the sea lion swam right over Clinton and his camera while Clinton was looking everywhere to get his picture of him. The sea lion just dangled in his blind spot and seemed to be singing "catch me if you can."
I began to wonder what happened to the sea nettles, when the most dense school of jellyfish I have ever seen came into sight. The sun was in full force and only brightened the orange and red tentacles. It was indescribably beautiful and hands down the best jellyfish school I have ever seen. Better then my experience in Palau, Jellyfish Lake. Again, kicking myself for not having my camera.

The boat had to come pick us up because we were having so much fun following the jellyfish. We hurried back to the dock with a brief pause for a large pod of very small common nose dolphins. They were on the bow of the boat for a little while and then we headed for lunch at Phat Burger.

Amazing day. Clinton's pictures can be seen here: http://www.baue.org/images/galleries...al/ep_12-3-11/
vsyoung is offline   Reply With Quote