BAUE Forum

BAUE Forum (http://www.baue.org/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (http://www.baue.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   10/16/2009 Pt Lobos by Harry Wong (http://www.baue.org/forums/showthread.php?t=936)

docwong 10-24-2009 04:34 AM

10/16/2009 Pt Lobos by Harry Wong

<b>10/16/2009 <a href="/reports/dive_locations.php?locationId=8">Pt Lobos</a></b> by Harry Wong -- <a href="/reports/trip_reports.php?reportId=441">[View in Reports Page]</a><br><br><table width="600"><tr bgcolor="#E3E3E3"><td>Bottom Team:</td><td>Alberto Nava, Todd Lasman
</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#E3E3E3"><td>Visibility:</td><td>10' - 20'</td><td>Time:</td><td>12:00 AM</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#E3E3E3"><td>Temp:</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Surge:</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#E3E3E3"><td>Scooter:</td><td>Gavin Long</td><td>Burn Time:</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#E3E3E3"><td>Max Depth:</td><td>105FSW</td><td>Avg Depth:</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#E3E3E3"><td>Bottom Time:</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>Total Time:</td><td>0:01</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#E3E3E3"><td>Bottom Gases:</td><td>30/30</td><td>Deco Gases:</td><td>EAN50 </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#E3E3E3"><td>Backgas Config:</td><td>Double LP80</td><td>Deco Tanks:</td><td>AL80 </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#E3E3E3" valign="Middle"><td>Deco Profile:</td><td><pre></pre></td></tr><tr><td>&nbsp;</td></tr><tr><td COLSPAN="4">Hi, well, it's definitely back in the water for me this last <br>weekend! The day started out quite nicely, met Todd at 6 AM, <br>transferred gear to my van and got to Point Lobos to a relatively calm <br>seas. It was a west swell and our plan was to dive in that exposed <br>area, so I didn't expect great viz. Beto arrived shortly and we all <br>geared up.<br><br>This is a very long scooter dive and the name "Magical Mystery Tour" <br>came up when we dove this route some months ago. Magical because we'd <br>cover so much terrain that was SO varied in it's topography and <br>scenery. "Mystery" because you never know what will turn up traveling <br>this far and it presents a somewhat challenging navigation exercise, <br>especially in low viz. You have to keep your wits about on speed <br>direction, topography and lack of land marks. "Tour" because we're <br>just about constantly on the trigger to cover the long distances.<br><br>The good thing about scooters is that you can do quite a bit of <br>traveling underwater, the bad thing about scooters is that you can get <br>lost for the same reason. Hm...ask me how I know. ;-)<br><br>The plan was to navigate out to Granite Wall and head out to Mono Lobo <br>Wall, over on the Monastery side, then go west past the outer part of <br>Thumbs Up out to the tip of those pinnacles where Wall Street is and <br>be just within range of Montana, then navigate back south into <br>Whaler's cove.<br><br>We expected the trigger time on our scooters to be upwards of 55 <br>minutes, so we all had the longer body Gavins. Max depth planned was <br>100' so we had Tx 30/30 in our doubles.<br><br>We scootered out on top and descended at the end of Middle Reef. At <br>the bottom at 40', I found that my dive computer failed. Hm..well I'm <br>leading the dive, so I motion to Todd to give me his computer (in <br>guage mode) and I gave him my bad one. I love interchangeable gear, <br>he'll just have to have faith in his buddies not leading him astray. ;-)<br><br>Viz at Whaler's Cove was "wonderful" at least you can see your <br>hands. ;-) When we got out to Granite Wall, it did not improve.<br><br>Hm....OK, this dive is going to be a challenging navigation exercise. <br>Just to be extra conservative, with Todd not having a working depth <br>guage, at 70 feet we switched from our 50% oxygen deco bottles to our <br>backgas of Tx 30/30. Getting around the corner in that part of Point <br>Lobos is not a straight line affair. Go the wrong way and you end up <br>in shallow water. It's no fun to be deposited on top of some sharp <br>rocks as another diver on ba.diving found out, so the shallowest <br>depths I'll allow myself to go is about 30 feet. So meandering back <br>and forth we found ourselves in Moss Cove Sand Channel and at 75 feet, <br>we hit the little wall and off we went at 30 degrees to Mono Lobo Wall.<br><br>BTW, Moss Cove is the cove between Whaler's Cove and Monastery Beach. <br>You can see the cove off of a boat passing by on the way to Point Lobos.<br><br>When I showed Todd where we were on the map taped to my scooter, he <br>gave me this "whatever" look. OK... I'll just make double sure none <br>of us get separated. We then went west following the Monastery side <br>contour and after a quick stop to see if we could rescue a large Mola <br>Mola that got it's fins eaten off, got to the end of Thumbs Up. The <br>feature was pretty distinctive and we looked around for a second or <br>two (this was a tour after all) before continuint to the end of the <br>reef structure.<br><br>We got to Wall Street and Beto wanted to stop and sight-see, but I <br>kept the team moving. Beto had spotted two large Vermillions locked <br>mouth to mouth in mortal combat, or was it some kind of mating <br>ritual? Come on Beto, the plan was to tour and not stop and look for <br>little critters. We continued, got back into Moss Cove Sand Channel, <br>over into Granite Point Pinnacles and then back into Whaler's Cove. <br>What a fun dive.<br><br>Kind of like riding a motorcycle thru the mountains touring! ;-)<br></td></table>