Bottom Team:Susan Bird, Gid Liew, Alberto Nava
Visibility:20' - 80'Time:12:00 AM
Temp: Surge:17'
Max Depth:202FSWAvg Depth: 
Bottom Time:0:40Total Time:1:30
Bottom Gases:18/55Deco Gases:EAN50,50/25
Backgas Config: Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Thursday night we picked up GUE instructor Gid Liew in SFO and drove him down to Monterey. He's teching a T2 class on Saturday with Matt, John and Jim as the students with Susan shooting video, and later on he's working with Susan on her IE and with me on my Fundies renewal.
So before embarking on a very long teaching session we wanted to go out and have a fun dive together. Nothing better to bond GUE
instructors than a fly-by scooter dive at K2.

We had booked Capt Phil several weeks ago, but we were not sure if the date was still in place. We double checked and he gave us the thumbs-up for our departure. The weather had calmed down a little bit during the week and the forecast was for 3-6ft swell, which is quite OK but the period was 17 seconds which makes for a lot of water moving at once.

While driving south along the coast we marveled at the topside scenery as massive walls of water smashed headlong into the rocks with spectacular force. The sun created golden-white reflections on the water, and Gideon was the first to spot a trio of gray whales swimming parallel to our boat.

After setting up the down-line on our site, we descended and were welcomed by very clear water. As we got to the top of the pinnacle I suddenly saw this very large wolf-eel, and just as I was about to signal by team mates I realized it was actually the steel-gray anchor doing an awesome impersonation of an eel .... ohh well... I'm glad I didn't signal
Gid ;-)

We headed NW on the East Wall of K2 and reached the tip at about 200ft. This area has a lot of canyons and tunnels which funneled the 17 seconds
swells making for a huge amount of water movement. The surge was effortlessly stirring up the sand at 200+ feet!

Any time we stopped to inspect an attraction on the pinnacle, we were thrown back and forth by the mountainous flow of water. There wasn't much we could do to counter-act its effect, not even with a scooter (ohh well maybe a magnus). It was like being attached to the heavy end of a pendulum... we just hung there and let the water move us around as we tried to watch some of the marine life. We managed to find a basket-star and a six-spotted gunnel but you could only see them for a few seconds a time.

Throughout the dive, we noticed that bits & pieces of the pinnacle had been torn off by the surge. It looked like the pinnacle was being power-washed! As all of this was happening I had the
feeling of how insignificant our power was in comparison to the ocean.

After 20min at the base we moved up to 150ft and hung out there while looking at the terrain and the marine life for another 20min. We spent the deco looking for southbound whales, to no avail.

We had a great dive,and topped it off with lunch buffet at Sam's.

Here we go on another teaching adventure!

Cherers, Beto (with a little help from Susan)

beto is offline   Reply With Quote