Go Back   BAUE Forum > Diving > Trip Reports


Trip Reports View and discuss trip reports

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
BAUE Director
clinton's Avatar
Name: Clinton
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1, Tech2
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 199
clinton is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to clinton
Default 10/10/2009 19SUR aboard Escapade by Clinton Bauder

10/10/2009 19SUR aboard Escapade by Clinton Bauder -- [View in Reports Page]

Bottom Team:Clinton Bauder, Matt Vieta, John Heimann
Visibility:5' - 40'Time:12:30 PM
Temp:51F - 56FSurge:2'
Max Depth:160FSWAvg Depth:130FSW
Bottom Time: Total Time:1:20
Bottom Gases:18/45Deco Gases:EAN50
Backgas Config:Double LP80Deco Tanks:AL80
Deco Profile:
Sometimes Plan B is better than Plan A. Jim had wanted to dive and setup a charter for that purpose. Our original plan was to do a T1 dive somewhere in Carmel. The weather conditions kind of forced our hand and pushed us in a different direction.

For once, weather considerations had us heading further south. It was flat, flat, flat with virtually no wind. Better yet fog wasn't a factor either. The water in Monterey and Carmel was a really icky looking opaque brown. While watching a pod of Rissos Dolphins off of Point Lobos we decided to keep going south until the water cleared up. Besides, after missing out on diving Sur Bank 2 weeks ago we were motivated to give it another try.

Around Yankee Point the water started to clear up a bit. It didn't look half bad as we dropped the downline at Sur 19. We put Team Kitty and Sue and Beto into the water first. Sadly for Beto one of his drygloves started leaking badly immediately upon entering the water so he aborted and Sue joined the Kitties. After their dive they reported good vis underneath a layer and a pretty significant current.

After discussing the current we decided it didn't look too bad so we would go down the line rather than drift into the pinnacle (and risk missing it altogether). Our first try didn't go so well as we misjudged the direction a bit and weren't able to swim to the ball. Take two went a bit better but we soon found we needed to hold onto the line to keep position. This was a risk as the line was only anchored with a lead ball and not a grapple nor chain. Several times on the descent the current seemed to stop signifying that the ball was no longer fixed on the bottom. As we arrived at the end of the line we could see it bouncing. For a brief moment I thought we were screwed as we were now at 160 feet with flat terrain around us. Fortunately a quick trip up-current put us in the lee of the pinnacle and we were soon on the topography.

From there the dive was uneventful. The schools of blue rockfish were off the side of the pinnacle so it didn't seem as fishy as on previous trips but it was still very pretty. We were all bummed when our time was up and we had to ascent. The current above the pinnacle was quite something as John and I had to chase after Matt a bit after he shot the bag. Once we got drifting it was uneventful and we passed the time watching jellies.

Pictures here.
clinton is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.