Trip Reports View and discuss trip reports

Old 10-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
marlloyd

Name: Mark
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1, Tech2
marlloyd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to marlloyd
Default 10/27/2012 Lunaticos Annex aboard Escapade by Mark Lloyd

10/27/2012 Lunaticos Annex aboard Escapade by Mark Lloyd -- [View in Reports Page]

Bottom Team:Jim Capwell, Mark Lloyd
Visibility:80'Time:12:00 AM
Temp:54FSurge: 
Max Depth:198FSWAvg Depth: 
Bottom Time: Total Time: 
Bottom Gases:Deco Gases:
Backgas Config: Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

The weather was looking great for once and I could finally get rid of the helium mix sitting in my 130s. Unfortunately John H. teased the weather gods by guaranteeing good weather. The very next day the weather report turned nasty and we were all cursing John. The call was made to go anyway and see for ourselves. Down at the dock things looked good so we set out with Erik, John, Allison, Jim, Doug, and myself. It was a bit rough getting out of the bay but once outside things calmed down all the way to Lunaticos. The teams jumped in and Jim and I decended down with my left ear complaining all the way to about 120. There I had to stop and persuade it a bit before continuing down to 200. The water clarity was very good with about 80 feet all over at the bottom. We scootered around following the ridges north and south which were richly covered in gorgonians, 20 or 30 vase sponges, schools of juvenile rockfish, and hydrocoral. After what seemed like minutes we ascended to our second level and spent another short interval scootering around the structure and enjoying every second. Deco was uneventful till we reached the 20 foot stop and had to avoid the monster sized jellies. Once on the surface the crew grabbed our bottles and the chicken massacre began. Trying not to push our luck we headed back to the bay and some did a second dive near Shale Island. All in all a great day and we were all glad we called the weather gods bluff.

Last edited by marlloyd; 10-27-2012 at 10:57 PM.
marlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote