Bottom Team:Susan Bird, Alberto Nava
Visibility: Time:12:30 PM
Temp: Surge: 
Max Depth: Avg Depth: 
Bottom Time:0:40Total Time:1:30
Bottom Gases:18/45Deco Gases:EAN50,O2
Backgas Config: Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Allison and Rob were teaching a fundies class at Lobos, and they happened to have a spare reservation for today. Susan and I were a bit hesitant to dive at Point Lobos after our Wed dive with terrible visibility but they said vis was decent on Saturday, so we decided to go for a dive.

We had a nice breakfast and did a few errants in the morning, and arrived at Lobos at about 12:30pm just as the tide was reaching it maximum. We quickly got the gear in the water, and went for our dive. We motored on the surface towards the class float and were able to see some tanks from the surface so that was better than Wed. We descended and headed to Hole in the Wall, and it started to get a bit dark again. I was kind of worry we were going to for a repeat of Wed but as we left the L. metridium and moved out of the shadows of the kelp we found 50-60ft vis. Nice!

We motored towards Twin Peaks with 60-80ft vis and saw large school of rockfish, and well as a nice wolf-eel on the way. At the site we encounter blue water, and the color looked radiant and vibrant. Not sure why but the red and yellow looked brighter. I wondering if I was getting narck, but with my 18/50 at 180ft I discarded that option. I stop wondering and just enjoyed. We motored towards the great pinnacle and were able to see it from the sea pens valley. At some point I found myself in a large school of small canaries and they were looking at me funny, like saying what you're doing here.

After about 20min of fun we headed back motoring over the long ridge than connect to the sisters. There we found a very large school of rockfish that was on top of us. Vis was so good that we decided to go to about 80ft to entered the school. It was magical to be around all those fish. We could see the shallow part of the reef from about 80ft so we headed torwards the kelp. Our gas switch was done inside a school of Olives that normally hides around the kelp.

The O2 deco was done while searching for kelp gunnels inside the cove. These amazing fish will come out of the kelp and try to make themselves look like a another piece of kelp, until they get tired of handing in mid-water and go back down. They really didn't like our lights, causing them to jump if the light beam was altered. Made it for a fun deco.

It's incredible how much condition can change in 3 or 4 days. I would like to see a model of Carmel/Point Lobos water movement to understand this.

Enjoyed while it last!
beto is offline   Reply With Quote