Bottom Team:Mark Lloyd, Dionna House
Visibility:10'Time:12:00 AM
Temp:55FSurge: 
Max Depth:77FSWAvg Depth:60FSW
Bottom Time:0:50Total Time:1:01
Bottom Gases:EAN32Deco Gases:
Backgas Config:Double Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Dionna and I decided to join Jim and a number of Advanced Open Water Students on the Escapade, Sunday morning. Arriving at the parking lot it was nice and sunny and I was hoping for flat, calm, conditions. As we motored out of the harbor the students were busy with their instructors while we took the chance to chow down on a few pastries.

The bay was pretty flat and Jim chose Outer Aumentos as our first dive site. Dionna and I geared up early and were into the water before any of the students. We wanted to get a good hour in as the students were only doing about 30 mins. Although the vis didn't look too bad on the surface, the bottom was very bad with zero to about 10' at best. It was also fairly surgy which is why things were so messy at depth. I was leading so took a compass reading and kicked out about 5 minutes before finding a nice patch of sand. Dionna wanted to do some bottle practicing and I needed to play with my bottom timer and understand these 130's which I was diving for the first time.

After 20 minutes or so I took a bearing back to the anchor and amazingly enough ran right into it. We still had a bit of time left so we continued on another 10 mins or so, turning around and came back to no anchor. Either we missed it or Jim pulled it up :-)
Dionna sent the bag up and we ascended to a waiting boat. As I was pulling off my fins I felt a sharp jab of pain on my top lip. Looking around I saw a Cormorant swimming away, the little bastard pecked me hard enough to draw blood! With the crew standing there laughing with me, I boarded and got out of my gear.

We then motored over to Deep Hopkins, watching a number of Sea Lions eating bits of Mola Mola. The second dive was pretty uneventful as we wanted to make sure we were back in the boat after 30mins. This time we used the reel to make sure we got back to the anchor, ascended up the anchor line and without any killer birds waiting, boarded the boat. As we headed back Jim spotted a huge Mola Mola on the surface being eaten by Sea Lions. He has a couple of great pictures that he said he would post later.

Overall a nice day for diving but the vis really sucked.
marlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
COYOTE
BAUE Director

Name: Dionna
GUE Certs: GUEF, RecTriox, Tech1, Tech2
COYOTE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to COYOTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlloyd View Post
10/5/2008 Aumentos aboard Escapade by Mark Lloyd -- [View in Reports Page]

Bottom Team:Mark Lloyd, Dionna House
Visibility:10'Time:12:00 AM
Temp:55FSurge: 
Max Depth:77FSWAvg Depth:60FSW
Bottom Time:0:50Total Time:1:01
Bottom Gases:EAN32Deco Gases:
Backgas Config:Double Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Dionna and I decided to join Jim and a number of Advanced Open Water Students on the Escapade, Sunday morning. Arriving at the parking lot it was nice and sunny and I was hoping for flat, calm, conditions. As we motored out of the harbor the students were busy with their instructors while we took the chance to chow down on a few pastries.

The bay was pretty flat and Jim chose Outer Aumentos as our first dive site. Dionna and I geared up early and were into the water before any of the students. We wanted to get a good hour in as the students were only doing about 30 mins. Although the vis didn't look too bad on the surface, the bottom was very bad with zero to about 10' at best. It was also fairly surgy which is why things were so messy at depth. I was leading so took a compass reading and kicked out about 5 minutes before finding a nice patch of sand. Dionna wanted to do some bottle practicing and I needed to play with my bottom timer and understand these 130's which I was diving for the first time.

After 20 minutes or so I took a bearing back to the anchor and amazingly enough ran right into it. We still had a bit of time left so we continued on another 10 mins or so, turning around and came back to no anchor. Either we missed it or Jim pulled it up :-)
Dionna sent the bag up and we ascended to a waiting boat. As I was pulling off my fins I felt a sharp jab of pain on my top lip. Looking around I saw a Cormorant swimming away, the little bastard pecked me hard enough to draw blood! With the crew standing there laughing with me, I boarded and got out of my gear.

We then motored over to Deep Hopkins, watching a number of Sea Lions eating bits of Mola Mola. The second dive was pretty uneventful as we wanted to make sure we were back in the boat after 30mins. This time we used the reel to make sure we got back to the anchor, ascended up the anchor line and without any killer birds waiting, boarded the boat. As we headed back Jim spotted a huge Mola Mola on the surface being eaten by Sea Lions. He has a couple of great pictures that he said he would post later.

Overall a nice day for diving but the vis really sucked.
Alfred Hitchcock would have loved to have gotten a filming on you ... Titled "The Birds part 2"

Dionna
COYOTE is offline   Reply With Quote