Trip Reports View and discuss trip reports

Old 10-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
marlloyd

Name: Mark
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1, Tech2
marlloyd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to marlloyd
Default 10/19/2008 Ballbuster aboard HarryB's Boat by Mark Lloyd

10/19/2008 Ballbuster aboard HarryB's Boat by Mark Lloyd -- [View in Reports Page]

Bottom Team:Harry Babicka, Dionna House, Mark Lloyd
Visibility:20' - 30'Time:12:00 AM
Temp:51FSurge: 
Scooter:X-scooterBurn Time: 
Max Depth:103FSWAvg Depth:69FSW
Bottom Time: Total Time:0:44
Bottom Gases:EAN32Deco Gases:
Backgas Config:Double Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Harry, Dionna, and I arrived at the Breakwater all ready to do a bit of scootering at Ballbuster. We hadn't had Harry's boat in the water for about 7 or 8 weeks so when it didn't start right away we were not surprised. 45 minutes later however, we were getting a bit worried by the lack of a running motor and the amount of blue fumes permeating the launch ramp. Since it was Dionna's birthday the day before, I brought down a few cream cakes to eat at lunch. Since the boat was not cooperating I broke out the goodies and in a few minutes, icing sugar and cream were over everyone's face and drysuit... yummy! John Y. came over to see if he could help with the motor. With a deft flick of the wrist he got the thing started and we did a few donuts in the bay before coming back in, turning it off, then restarting and headed out to ballbuster.
We dropped the scooters in, donned the gear, and dropped into greenish haze at the top. I was leading the dive and indicated that we would make a full circle of the pinnacle to see how long that took then decide what to do from there. It took about 4 minutes to go around so I did another loop then scootering out at 90 degree angles and back in again. The vis was really good at about 20-25' in most areas. It was a lot of fun getting to see the whole pinnacle and the surrounding structures in our 45 minute dive.

After the dive we headed back in to the deli for the famous bbq pork sandwich. The motor started immediately after lunch and we parked next to the Escapade at Trevors (Outer Aumentos). John Y. was going to dive Shale Island but I guess it was too brown so he joined us at the site. Again, in with the scooters and gear and we could see immediately that the vis was even better here. No green haze at the top and it must have been 30-35' at the bottom. I was leading again and followed a number of structures out then in again, round and round, through clouds of krill, past schools of rockfish and at one point stopping to observe a nice bat ray. It was really a great dive and one that I could of spent hours zooming around and getting to know.
marlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote