Trip Reports View and discuss trip reports

Old 11-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
marlloyd

Name: Mark
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1, Tech2
marlloyd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to marlloyd
Default 8/11/2008 Butterfly Outer aboard Escapade by Mark Lloyd

8/11/2008 Butterfly Outer aboard Escapade by Mark Lloyd -- [View in Reports Page]

Bottom Team:Harry Babicka, Dionna House, Mark Lloyd
Visibility:30' - 100'Time:10:21 AM
Temp:54F - 57FSurge: 
Scooter:X-scooterBurn Time: 
Max Depth:102FSWAvg Depth:67FSW
Bottom Time: Total Time:0:45
Bottom Gases:EAN32Deco Gases:
Backgas Config:Double Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Saturday started out great with a nice complement of divers aboard the Escapade. The sun was out and we were even contemplating going past Lobos. Unfortunately the seas got a bit rough and we turned into the bay and settled on Outer Butterfly House. Harry, Dionna, and I decided to bring the scooters on this dive which was a great decision. Once we anchored the boat we could all see how great the vis was. Anxious to get in we did our pre-dive checks and with me leading we scootered off to the West. The vis was truly spectacular with at least 100' in some areas. Looking up from 70' I could clearly see the ripples on the surface. We scootered from one end of the reef on the west side which dipped below about 130' to the far east side which was around 70'. The shear walls of red coryinactus and hydro coral was fantastic. Along the way we saw a large school of blue rock fish, two medium sized Sheephead, and the usual nudi's.

On the second dive we changed sites to the East Pinnacles. After changing my battery and a nice hour and a half surface interval we dropped in again. Vis was not as great as the last site but it was still at least 50'. Again with me leading we zipped by four or five pinnacles of all shapes and sizes. We saw another pair of Sheephead but no large schools of fish. After about 35 mins of bottom time we called it a day and did a bit of deco on the way up. Back on the boat there were smiles all round. Hoping this is the start to some lucky Winter diving. See ya next trip.
marlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote