Old 09-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
COYOTE
BAUE Director

Name: Dionna
GUE Certs: GUEF, RecTriox, Tech1, Tech2
COYOTE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to COYOTE
Default 9/20/2008 Kinder-Garden (D3) aboard Escapade by Dionna House

9/20/2008 Kinder-Garden (D3) aboard Escapade by Dionna House -- [View in Reports Page]

Bottom Team:Harry Babicka, Dionna House, Mark Lloyd
Support Team:GUE Training Director Gideon Liew
Visibility:15' - 25'Time:12:00 AM
Temp:52F - 54FSurge: 
Max Depth:220FSWAvg Depth:200FSW
Bottom Time: Total Time:1:22
Bottom Gases:15/55Deco Gases:50/25,O2
Backgas Config:Double HP120Deco Tanks:AL40
Deco Profile:

After long discussions of dive planning and decompression with Gideon Liew over a wonderful dinner at Siamese Bay, we continued to discuss our plan for our T2 experience dive on Saturday at the hotel. I practiced the dive over and over in my head while trying to sleep. I know my buddies were doing the same thing. This is what we have be practicing for!! Mark was navigator, Harry runs deco and I will shoot the SMB, Gideon will oversee. We board the Escapade at 8am Saturday morning, it didn't take long to board, because we loaded the gear the day before. We motored south to look for depths of 220fsw. On our way south Jim received a call from Brian on the Beach Hopper saying they spotted a Basking Shark north of Pt Lobos. I wasn't really paying attention to the exact location. At the time we were confirming our dive plan for our experience dive. Ed came down the ladder and said, “Basking Shark ahead”. We dropped all our GUE EDGE... and went to the side of the boat to look. WOW!!! This was definitely more important than our T2 dive. The shark had to be at least 20-25ft long with it's mouth wide open. Jim mentioned to me to jump in with it... I thought... Is he crazy?? Later, I learned that Basking Sharks are very tamed and gentle. Harry and dive crew member Ed quickly suited up and jumped in to try to swim with it.... but, couldn't keep up.... Jim repositioned the boat and Harry got in again, and this time got to slip and slide with a dorsal fin.... Wow!!! We watched as the basking shark submerged and went on its merry way. Next time I will not be so timid, but, my leg would have fit into his mouth!! Picture to come soon. On a side note, it pays to bring Gideon Liew here... Last time he visited from Singapore, he saw orcas feeding on whale blubber.

Back to diving.... I couldn't help but thinking... what if this basking shark comes along on our deco?? I don't think my sac will be as good.

We arrived at Kindergarten D3, Jim dropped the anchor and we geared up, did our equipment checks and clipped bottles on and jumped in. The surface current was manageable. We descended at the bouy as a team in to the deep dark unknown. Fortunately my ears were cooperating. We arrived at 200fsw to beautiful elephant ears sponges, rosy rockfish, gorgonians and lots of colors to look at. We only stay there for a brief moment. Mark had to reach his destination of 220ft. We venture off to the sand to look for 220fsw. We saw wonderful sand particles, an orange sea pen, a flat fish. Look pretty dismal....Oh.... Mark and his depth of venture!!! Finally he came to his sense and turn around to go back.... We arrived at the pinnacle again for a brief moment to look at a rosy rockfish and more colors, than it was time to get up to our deep stops. Harry took over as deco captain. We ascended up to the top of the pinnacle where I shot the bag. Off we went for a comfortable deco into the greenish waters. All went as planned. All that practicing paid off. On our long long 20ft stop, I signaled to Mark and did the chicken dance, Mark copied it back. This got Gideon's attention as he circled us from above and beside. He came down to check... I pointed to him and signaled shark... I took my reg out of my mouth and smiled. He gave me the monster mash sign.... I think he caught on to our humor and jokes. Gideon came to each of us on our 20ft stop and shook our hands to congratulate us. We made our slow ascent to the surface and gave Jim the OK... and cheered.... Jim and his crew cheered us on too. We motored back for lunch and final discussions about the dive and of course what we need to still work on, because what is a GUE class for? Especially with one of the GUE Training Directors. Thanks to my buddies, Mark and Harry, for being patient and committed to training while we had fun. Thanks to the folks that let us borrow their gear to make this class happen.

Later that day we met up with the BAUE members that were on the afternoon charter for fun, laughs, celebration and dinner at Siamese Bay.

ON TO DEEP ADVENTURES........

COYOTE is offline   Reply With Quote