Bottom Team:Joakim Linde, Doug Simmons, Alberto Nava
Visibility:20' - 100'Time:11:00 AM
Temp: Surge: 
Max Depth:100FSWAvg Depth: 
Bottom Time: Total Time: 
Bottom Gases:30/30Deco Gases:EAN50
Backgas Config: Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Yesterday I found myself with a totally empty calendar, so I decided to join the Long Range recreational trip on board of the Escapade. We had a nice group of divers, and I was able to buddy up with Joakim for a couple of
dives, and Doug for another.

The 2hr drive to South was spectacular with an amazing view of the Big Sur Coast with both Mt Carmel and Pico Blanco visible over the smaller mountains . We motored past the light-house and continue for another 10miles to
reach one of the best site in the area Compost. This is a small tower shape pinnacle, in the middle of a large sandy patch so there is a lot of marine life concentrate at the site. My favorite part of this structure is a nice overhang which starts at 100ft and it goes all the way to 60ft. It's covered with corynactus and tons of invertebrates. It was a bit green with 20-30ft vis. Highlight of the dive was a mosshead warbonnet which I haven't see in severals years.

Second dive was at Castle Rock "Our prayers", which is a nice 500ft long reef which goes from 30ft to about 100ft. Visibility here was at least 100ft. Joakim and I covered the north-west side of the reef, while venturing into the sand to find mountains of sand-dollars sticking all together. I think we could see the pinnacle from 100ft away. We ended the dive by scootering through a small canyon leading to the top of the pinnacle, and the spent about 30min playing on the shallow yelp. There is a beautiful forest of bulb kelp with schools of seņorita fish, perches and tube-snouts and very clear water. I love this shallow kelp.

Last dive of the day was a splash with the sea lions at Lobos Rocks.Very calm seas and good vis, made this a fun 30min of jouyfull play. I'm really getting to know sparky the big male in the area. I can see him looking at me with his big eyes saying ummm beto's is back ;-)

Another gran day out. thanks for Vanessa for organizing.
beto is offline   Reply With Quote