Go Back   BAUE Forum > Diving > General

Notices

General Anything you want to talk about or ask BAUE.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
CHarnal

Name: Casey
GUE Certs: GUEF
CHarnal is on a distinguished road
Default Question for the scooter owners

I've decided to pull the trigger and buy a scooter. They just look like too much fun.

My questions are:

1) I'm torn between a Sierra and a N-19. Why did you choose the scooter you did? What are the pros/cons to each from personal experience?

2) Anyone know of someone selling one or the other?

Thanks,
Casey
CHarnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
rhlee
BAUE Director

Name: Robert
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1, Tech2, Cave1, Cave2, Rebreather, Instructor, DPV1
rhlee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rhlee

I would recommend seeing if you could try each out before making an investment. I don't have experience with the SS/N19 scooters, but I think the trigger/handle mechanism would be a concern for me personally. There are also the Zuexo scooters, which I have heard many good things about.

1) Personally, I own a Sierra, and for me the choice was mainly between it and a Gavin, and I chose the Sierra for the weight. That being said, I (personally) believe that my Sierra is underpowered compared to some of the Gavins that are around, and have had some issues in very heavy currents with lots of gear.

2) There are a couple of reasonable deals on Gavins on eBay right now: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
rhlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
CHarnal

Thanks for the info, Rob.

I would love to try a couple out, but I don't know many people with scooters in Sacramento. For the mean time I will have to rely on reading and opinions from people who have used them, such as yourself.

I really like the trigger mechanism on the Dive-X, I have not been able to find any up-close images of the trigger / speed control of the Gavin or SS. From what I understand, to change the prop pitch on the Gavin you need to stop and manually adjust the pitch? What about speed control? Is it a progressive trigger, or just a single pull and speed is based on the prop pitch?

With the SS, please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm assuming the prop pitch is controlled dynamically via some mechanism on the handle?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
rhlee
BAUE Director

Name: Robert
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1, Tech2, Cave1, Cave2, Rebreather, Instructor, DPV1
rhlee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rhlee

The Gavin and SS both have variable-pitch props, as with the X. The X also has electronic speed shifting. The backend assembly of all 3 scooters are basically the same:

http://www.silent-submersion.com/Ins...ons/props.html

Not sure if the SS has speed shifting in the trigger, but the Gavins do not; speed is controlled by adjusting the prop pitch. The SS "trigger" is much like a motorcycle handle; it involves a wrist rotation (if that makes sense...).

On the X, speed can be controlled at the trigger, and/or by changing the prop pitch. Personally, I leave mine pitched all the way, and use the trigger shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHarnal View Post
Thanks for the info, Rob.

I would love to try a couple out, but I don't know many people with scooters in Sacramento. For the mean time I will have to rely on reading and opinions from people who have used them, such as yourself.

I really like the trigger mechanism on the Dive-X, I have not been able to find any up-close images of the trigger / speed control of the Gavin or SS. From what I understand, to change the prop pitch on the Gavin you need to stop and manually adjust the pitch? What about speed control? Is it a progressive trigger, or just a single pull and speed is based on the prop pitch?

With the SS, please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm assuming the prop pitch is controlled dynamically via some mechanism on the handle?
rhlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
marlloyd

Name: Mark
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1, Tech2
marlloyd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to marlloyd

When I was buying mine I also narrowed it down between the Gavin and the X. Weight was one consideration but I also like the fact that you could shift on the fly, that there was no wire to break on the trigger, and the battery is very simple to switch in and out.

I would also agree with Rob that my Sierra is a bit slower than some of the Gavins around but the turning ability and other items that I pointed out above do not make me regret my decision.

However if I were to buy a scooter today I would go for the Cuda
marlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
CHarnal

Thanks everyone, I have decided to go with Dive-X. The feedback from everyone I've spoken with has been pretty much unanimous.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
myoshimura

Name: Masao
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1
myoshimura is on a distinguished road

Pre-Tech1 divers like myself and other 3 and 4 Baue members of my "generation" are looking into buying scooters in the near future. we are thinking of getting together to get a very good discount. I believe Paval is trying to organize this and he believes that if we get 4 or so orders together, we should be able to get a really good discount. Are you interested in joining us? I too am thinking of Cuda.. Let me know.

-masao
myoshimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
CHarnal

Masao - I am interested. Please let me know the details when you get them.

Regards,
Casey
Old 12-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
myoshimura

Name: Masao
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1
myoshimura is on a distinguished road

I sent you PM yesterday.

cheers

masao
myoshimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
kevin.dow
BAUE Member

Name: Kevin
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1, Tech2, Cave1, Cave2
kevin.dow is on a distinguished road

I have come to this conversation later but have had some limited experiences with:

Mako (once)
Gavin (several dives)
SS (about 8 hours dive time)
Sierra (oodles)

In regards to the trigger mechanism on the SS. I didn't find it very difficult to deal with. Like anything new, it took a dive or two to figure out, and then it was pretty much seamless.

My personal opinion is that burn time and thrust is much less of an issue in the open water/lower current/colder water environment that we typcially dive here in Monterey. There just isnt the overall need for a 3+ hour scooter as:

A) Physically staying in the the water that long is difficult due to the cold
B) traveling that far underwater on a single scooter is a risky proposition due to changing surface conditions, need for a boat to find you, posibilities of navigational errors.

Indeed if you look on the boats, primarily people are bringing either X-scooters or smaller Gavins.

For shore diving, we typically don't have to deal with a lot of surf, but having to lug a larger scooter up and down boat ramp (Lobos) or stairs (CRB or breakwater) is no fun.
kevin.dow is offline   Reply With Quote