Bottom Team:Susan Bird, Alberto Nava
Visibility:80' - 100'Time:10:00 AM
Temp: Surge:2'
Max Depth:170FSWAvg Depth: 
Bottom Time:0:40Total Time:1:30
Bottom Gases:18/45Deco Gases:50/25,O2
Backgas Config: Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Mark Loyd organized our Saturday tech dive on the Escapade. Target was to go as far south as conditions allow and yesterday we could have gone to Partington Canyon (no much to see there...), so we decided to go back to BigSur Banks. As Jim Capwell/Escapade had already gone to Sur19 3 times this year) , we decided to venture to a different spot so Sur 20 was our destination.

Sur20 has more peaks and valley than Sur 19. There is a large canyon crossing the pinnacle in half and some small swim-ths on the south side of the pinnacle. Visibility was close to 100ft at the base and 80ft at the top. It was really an amazing scenery with all the juv rock fish, the pink and purple hydrocoral and the medium size lingcods swimming around.

I'm still surprise by the lack of large red fish: this year we have not seen any large yellow eyes or that many vermillion or caneries. It seem like the fishing has taken its toll at the banks :-(. We still need to check Mid-way to see if the fish are still there.

For the second dive we decided to dive Castle Rock Wall. I can't recall if I dove this before but if I did it was more than 10 divers ago. It's a large pinnacle 400ft long with two small peak coming from 100ft to 30ft. There were tons of se~norita fish, school of sea perches at the top of the peaks, and beautiful bulb kelp all over the place. All the walls were covered with corynactus and all kind of invertebrates. Really cool site!

All in all another day in Paradise :-)
beto is offline   Reply With Quote