Bottom Team:Clinton Bauder
Visibility:15' - 20'Time:9:00 AM
Temp:52F - 53FSurge: 
Max Depth:47FSWAvg Depth:40FSW
Bottom Time:1:03Total Time:1:03
Bottom Gases:EAN32Deco Gases:
Backgas Config:Single HP100Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

What what? Who is this Dave character writing a trip report? Yes, after about 4 years only diving BC and Alaska, and taking the last 2 years off I finally got back into the Monterey waters.

We were pleasantly surprised to see how empty Breakwater was. For a good-weather weekend day there were surprisingly few people there.

First dive we just went out along the wall, headed over the sand and came back over the sand. Nothing particularly noteworthy, just a very pleasant, very relaxing dive. Except for the "fun" of hauling gear down to the beach (which was actually made much easier due to having my very own gear sherpa - thanks Clinton!), across the beach and doing a longish surface swim, you really couldn't ask for a better re-entry into Monterey diving.

Somewhat counter-intuitively it seemed that we were able to see more things over the sand than along the wall on the first dive, so for the second dive we decided to stay over the sand most of the trip. And we were well-rewarded.

We saw not one, not two, but three sarcastic fringeheads (though not nearly as sarcastic as the bunch at Phat Burger, but I'm getting ahead of myself). We also spotted a Pleurobranchaea californica nudi, which is one that neither of us had seen before. We also found a fair number of little octopi hiding here-and-there. And finally on the swim back we ran across a very sad fish with a hook in its eye. Poor fishy. :-(

Clinton got some good shots which you can see here.

Afterwards we met up with a group of folks over at Phat Burger. In attendance were Jim, Julia, Mike, Vanessa and Michael (nice to see one of my first DIRF students again!). As we joined them they had apparently just finished scaring away some poor, hapless visitors. Quite the rowdy collection there. It was fun seeing some new (to me) faces, and seeing some very old ones (with girlie shoulders) too. :-)

Great being back in the water again. Thanks for being a great buddy Clinton!
mixdiver is offline   Reply With Quote