Visibility:15' - 30'Time:12:00 AM
Temp:51FSurge: 
Max Depth:90FSWAvg Depth:60FSW
Bottom Time: Total Time: 
Bottom Gases:EAN32Deco Gases:
Backgas Config:Single,Double HP100Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:
min

Got a bunch of friends together to do a long-range charter on this Escapade this Sunday. First thing on the boat I got reprimanded for commenting on the forecast... Hopefully this time I'll learn!

There was almost no wind, and almost no swell. We headed south to Sobranes wash rock for the first dive. We encountered a pod of dolphin, and several whales on the way south.

The water was filled with hundreds of thousands of salp-like-creatures, giving us a 20' or so chunky soup sort of vis. The pelagic critters made the bottom dark, which I actually enjoy. There were also lots of egg yolk jellies in the water.

The second dive was at Flintstones - a site that I had not yet dived before. We've dropped anchor there several times while I've been on the boat, but the current had always been too strong. There was current, but Clinton was thrown in as a test, and the site was declared diveable. Ted led us down and around the corynactis covered pinnacle. On the way way back to the boat we dodged (or not) egg yolk jellies as they whizzed by.

We had the boat all day so Jim led us on a whale watching adventure. A humpback actually breached! Twice! I happened to be changing. (very sad) Jim got a great shot of it, which is posted on his site.

Despite the marginal visibility, Clinton managed to get some pretty decent shots:

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/v/local/bigsur_aug2/
MattV is offline   Reply With Quote