Bottom Team:Susan Bird, Alberto Nava
Visibility:70'Time:10:30 AM
Temp:51FSurge:8'
Max Depth:178FSWAvg Depth: 
Bottom Time:0:40Total Time:1:40
Bottom Gases:18/45Deco Gases:EAN50,O2
Backgas Config: Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Inspired by Gary's Epic swimming report we decided to leave the scooters at home and go for a swimming dive at K2. We dropped in at the East end of the wall. We swam for about 20min to the West end and then back to the shallow peak at 70ft :-).

We saw tons of fish at the base: Lingcods, Vermilions, a few tree fish, and a nice friendly Mola that was being cleaned by a cluster of small Sea Perches. This little mola kept swimming close to us to check out what we were doing.

Visibility was spectacular and I had to double check my depth gauge to remember I was in Cal and not in the tropics. The terrain was very nice as we swam along the shear wall during the deep portion of the dive and then to the flat-lands for the shallow portion. We all enjoyed looking at the drop-off near the end of the wall.

We saw several juvenile yellow-eyes hiding in cracks, a large school of rock-fish at the top of the pinnacle, and some good size sheep heads.

We had several Molas visit us during deco, one in particular who was visible for very long periods on 6 of our stops. :-)

It was a very relaxed trip, and while the swells were still quite large the duration was long-- so we had a smooth ride home. As a final treat, a pod of about 20 risso dolphins meandered past on our way back to the harbor.

susan is offline   Reply With Quote