Bottom Team:Jim Capwell, Susan Bird, Joakim Linde
Visibility:40' - 80'Time:10:30 AM
Temp:48F - 53FSurge: 
Max Depth:180FSWAvg Depth: 
Bottom Time:1:00Total Time:1:30
Bottom Gases:18/45Deco Gases:EAN50,50/25
Backgas Config: Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

After last weekend weather we were due for some good conditions. Sue, Jim, Joakim and myself were on board of the Escapade for a fun adventure. We decided to dive Flintstones. This site has lost its popularity to Mt. Chamberlin's main peaks K1, K2 and its South wall, however it's still a fantastic dive and one of the main attraction is that the top of the pinnacle goes all the way to 40ft, so we can do quite a lot of fun-deco :-). I also have quite a lot of personal attachment to the site as I done a lot of dives here and have quite a lot of good memories from the old days :-).

This dive site is a very large underwater mountain with a large crack or canyon crossing the mountain in a north-south direction. There is a large sandy area on the north side of the crack and a couple of smaller mountains around the
sandy patch.

We dropped the down-line on the south end of the crack. We jumped into the water to find a very clear water and not much current. We reached the start of the down-line at about 130ft and descended to the bottom at 150ft. From there
our teams spitted with Joe and Jim going on a loop on the west side and Sue and myself going to another reef parallel to the main structure which goes to about 180-200ft. We took a little detour of the normal route to check some
carved canyon that I have never seen before. Vis was that good.

The reef was spectacular with tons of gorgonias, red fish and several large lingcods. After about 20min of checking the parallel reef, we headed back to the main structure and ascended to about 140 for the second part of the dive. Here he headed north and ran over the old O2 cylinder that came from the Cypress Sea many years ago. There is still one of them under the sand :-0, and a little bit later we saw the huge school of black rock fish swimming towards us. We scootered around the fish for a couple of loop and at
that point we looked up and we could see the surface very clearly from the reef. We headed back to the main structure and swam through the
main crack and through a section full of metridiums. We could see Jim and Joe light and silhouettes at least 60ft way from us.

After 40min of fun we met we Jim/Joe at 70ft and continued onto the third part of the dive. The way to deco at Flintstone is to do one loop
around the structure every 10ft. That comes very close to 6,4s ..... we ran into another large school of rock-fish hiding from the current, and a large section of large hydro corals. After what felt like short 60min we deployed SMB and drifted with the current. Temp was 48 at the bottom and 50-53 during deco.

On the way back there were Risso Dolphins in Carmel and some of them were very friendly :-)

Surface condition were very clear and warm with the Carmel/Big Sur coast on the background.

It does not get much better than that in Monterey.

beto is offline   Reply With Quote