BAUE Trip Reports


Older than
Newer than

Newest First
Oldest First


10/29/2005 Outer Outer Pinnacles aboard Escapade by Dionna House -- [View this report only]
Bottom Team: Harry Babicka, Paul Lee, Dionna House
Support Team:Mark Weitz
Visibility: 40' - 50' Time:10:30 AM
Temp: 52F - 54F Surge: 2'
Max Depth: 153FSW Avg Depth: 143FSW
Bottom Time:   Total Time:  
Bottom Gases: 18/45Deco Gases:EAN50
Backgas Config: Double HP100Deco Tanks:AL80
Deco Profile:
Great weekend diving with BAUE folks!!! Thanks to the people who organized this whole weekend. Saturday was the tech charter and swells didn’t discourage us from finding some good diving. Sunday was the more extend range of 80ft-120ft.

I buddied up with Harry Babicka and Paul Lee Wang for a dive to 150ft for 25 minutes. We anchored at Lunactico’s. There were 10-12ft swells with a long period and still able to dive. Topside weather was clear skies with some areas of light fog from a distance. After waiting patiently for the Tech 2 teams to make there ascent, we splashed in a kicked to the anchor line for our descent. We descended to 110ft where Harry tied off and started running line down to 150ft. We were instructed to get back to the anchor line and knowing the anchor was in 100ish feet we wanted to make sure that plan was executed. We cruised east along a wall and enjoyed the topography and small little canyons. Visibility was around 40-50feet. There were numerous elephant ear sponges and small gorgonians. Saw several different rock fish that hung around the breathtaking scenery. We went west back to where the tie off was with plenty of time to explore west of the anchor. Deco was very relaxing and enjoyable while viewing several jellies. Mark Weitz, our wonderful support diver, met us at our 70ft stop and hung out with us until we surfaced. Thanks to Harry and Paul for a fun dive.

My second dive was at Outer Pinnacle just north of Lunatico’s. Topside conditions started to become a little overcast with some light fog, swells were 10-12ft. I dove with Mark Weitz. Our plan was to drop down to 100ft and swim around to look into cracks for critters. The site was really surgey and visibility had dramatically decreased from the first dive. We swam north off the anchor line and started looking for different critters. I did see a wolf eel and Mark pointed out a cabezon and a ling cod. We signaled Susan Bird to come look at the wolf eel and I guess the wolf eel became really shy and went back into his/her crack. She had already seen two other wolf eels that dive anyway. There were small little pinnacles that were covered with different color hydrocorals. It was time to head back to the anchor and unfortunately we lost track of the anchor line. This was not the best plan!! I knew we were in the vicinity of the boat. The best plan under the circumstances was to shoot a SMB so the boat crew can track us. I signaled to Mark to shoot his large SMB. As we started our slow ascent on the line with the spool, I noticed the kelp lying flat as we drifted by, that was when I knew we were in for a little ride. Deco was very relaxing as we drifted. We surfaced about 100 yards south of the anchored boat. Shortly after we surfaced we looked around and saw the boat from a distance and thought….. we screwed up!! It wasn’t long before Jim Capwell and his crew came and picked us up. Once on board, people on the boat commented that our big 4.5 feet bag looked small from a distance and thought it would be a good idea to use the big halcyon bag instead of the smaller one. I can't say enough good things about the boat support. It was great dive from an experience stand point of really understanding the importance of getting back to the line under recreational and controlled conditions!!! I hope we don’t repeat this.