BAUE Trip Reports


Older than
Newer than

Newest First
Oldest First


10/30/2005 Flintstones aboard Escapade by Mark Lloyd -- [View this report only]
Bottom Team: Mark Lloyd, Suzanne L (Suz) Baird, Dionna House
Visibility:   Time:12:00 AM
Temp:   Surge:  
Max Depth: 116FSW Avg Depth:  
Bottom Time:   Total Time:  
Bottom Gases: 30/30Deco Gases:
Backgas Config: Double Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:
Going through my emails on October 21st I saw a post from Clinton about diving from the Escapade on Sunday, October 30th. I thought this would be a great time to do my first boat dive in Monterey and to see what the Escapade was like for future trips. My wife and I made our way down on the Saturday, visited the Aquarium, and generally chilled out, staying at one of the local hotels for the night.

The next morning I arrived around 7:30 at the K dock. I introduced myself to Clinton and a few others who were already there. Shortly after arriving the Escapade came round the corner and docked by the ramp. About 4 or 5 trips down to the boat with all my gear and we were set to leave. Since a few people were sick and had to cancel we had lots of room to move around and sort out our gear. Plus, Jim had a few trays of pastries to snack on as we made our way out.

The weather looked great, not much wind, and the water looked fairly calm. I had no idea where we going but didnít really care either. The boat left the dock and headed south, as we passed Carmel, about 50 or so dolphins were spotted off the right side. They were jumping out of the water, whizzing around each other, and generally looking like they were having a great time. Slowing down for a few minutes, I took a few pictures then we carried on.

About 15 or so minutes later we stopped in the middle of nowhere and anchored. Captain Jim gave a short description of the dive site, Flintstones, then we started to gear up. Dionna, Suzanne, and I were diving together as a team, all using 30/30 in our doubles. The plan was to drop down on the anchor line, max out at 115 feet with a bottom time of about 20 minutes then do our minimum deco stops back up. As we are about to jump in Dionnaís mask strap had a blow out so she switched to the back up. I clearly remember her asking one of the crew to spit in the mask to make sure it didnít fog up.

There was some caution as we entered the water as we were told to watch out for the current. As we dropped in we found little if any current then made our way to the anchor line and dropped down. The visibility was quite good, about 30 or so feet, and it didnít take long to spot the large rock formations ahead. On some of the boulders were large kelp with those small yellow snails. Fish were in abundance but couldnít make out anything special among the crowd. About 15 or so minutes into the dive Dionna flashed me making windshield wiper motions with her fingers. I could see that her mask was fogged up like the inside of the shower stall. Obviously this was causing her to have some issues with visibility so she called the dive and we slowly made our way back to the anchor line. With the visibility so good we could see all the way up to the top of the boat and with hardly any current, doing our minimum deco was a snap. (continued on next dive)