Our deep diving charter got cancelled due to a sub-optimal weather forecast. John and I still wanted to get wet and fortuitiously John happened to have Lobos Reservations. Point Lobos it was then.
When we arrived it didn't look nearly as bad as the forecast. The launch ramp was sloshing a bit and there were occasional big breakers out in Bluefish Cove but nothing too threatening.
On the swim out at one point I looked down and realized we were swimming directly over the top of the middle reef. This is clear evidence that some big weather has come through as normally you'd be stuck in kelp if you wandered off of the channel. As I watched a couple of harbor seals playing underneath us I realized that what kelp remained wasn't moving much indicating a lack of surge. We dropped down and found it to be quite pleasant even at a depth of only 40 feet. We noodled around for a while before making our way over to Granite Point Wall. The surge was worse over there but still not really a problem. After about 80 mintues we finished off our stages and turned back for home. The visibility and surge didn't become an issue until we were nearly at the launch ramp. Pretty nice diving for a day originally forecast for an 10-13 foot swell.