BAUE Trip Reports


Older than
Newer than

Newest First
Oldest First


5/11/2006 Naia Wall aboard Phil Sammet's RIB by Alberto Nava -- [View this report only]
Bottom Team: Susan Bird, Alberto Nava
Visibility: 50' - 80' Time:10:23 AM
Temp: 46F - 48F Surge:  
Scooter: Gavin Short Burn Time:  
Max Depth: 170FSW Avg Depth:  
Bottom Time:   Total Time:  
Bottom Gases: 18/45Deco Gases:50/25,O2
Backgas Config: Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:
Susan and I went out for a dive at Lobos today. We had made arrangements to dive from Phil’s boat. We woke up not feeling very well and we thought about canceling our trip but we decided to drive down and see how we felt after a couple of hrs. Once we got to Point Lobos and greeted Phil and Ranger Chuck and looked at the nice view we felt much better.

While at the parking lot I almost walked over a blue elephant :-0 (do I need to go back to bed came th my mind). Yes there was a baby elephant seal near the picnic tables. It was released by the MMC a few days ago. The top of its head was painted blue probably to be able to recognize it later on.

The moment we jumped into the water we realized how big of mistake it would have been to stay home, sleep some more and go to work. The water was crystal clear with at least 70ft of visibility. It looked like we were in Hawaii, except for the 48F degrees water we jumped into. We descended using our scooters to the top of the pinnacle in about 40ft of water and followed a very nice wall going west for about 5min until we got to some deeper water. It was amazing to scooter down and be able to see all these pinnacles 50 to 70ft away from us.

We leveled off at about 160ft and followed the wall for about 10min. We found a really nice valley full of gorgonians and invertebrates. While looking around in this 200x200 garden, Susan and I suddenly started signaling each other at the same time. We had simultaneously spotted a Giant Pacific Octopus. It was completely out in the open, at the edge of a ledge, trying desperately to look like a spiked rock formation. Its body must have been 2x3 ft in size (not counting the arms…) and it was all cuddled into itself, with part of its arms tucked & curled under the ledge. It had created a very strange texture on its skin for camouflage, and we stayed with it for about 4min, just watching its behavior. Towards the end of our time together, we watched the octopus swim away from us. Amazing encounter!!!

After playing with the octopus we headed back towards the wall and towards the top of the pinnacles where we found the anchor line. Vis was so good you could see it 100ft away. Temp at depth was 46 degrees.

When we were at the surface Phil spotted some sea gull activity and we went to check it out. The birds were attacking a fish on the surface. The fish was a long nosed lancet, which is very rare to see in these waters. There must have been some kind of upswelling, bringing the cold clear water up from the depths as well as this weird fish.

While driving home Susan asked me why I didn’t touch the octopus…… I said because we didn’t have a video camera :-(. Just kidding… the real reason is that we were respectful of the creature, and also scared of what it might do to us!

Go diving while the clear water lasts.

Best Beto