Sue and I got to Lobos at about 8:30am. We have schedule to dive with Phil but the conditions had us a little worry. The cove was still flat so we ventured to the outside to check the actual condition.
Plan A was K3/YankeePoint area but as soon as we past the west corner of the park the wind and swells were large, with white caps. It was all coming from the south so backing a little bit we found very calm condition just outsite E3.
We dropped at Deep E3 and headed for the drop-off near the sand. We did a little detour (I felt by compass was stuck for a while ????) for a while and found a large rock with 10-15 crinoids on top. They are not as colourful as the tropical ones but still pretty nice to see.
We finally got to the based of Deep E3 and located the purple sea fans that live in there. I had the impression that it has crown quite a bit since last time. It's now 2 ft diameter. It's always weird to be looking at the bright purple colony at 220ft. It always make me think if I have enough He as this are not suppose to be in our water.
We continued around the pinnacle and found several cool vase sponges and some large school of rock-fish.
The plan was to motor to E3 and ascend on it but a couple of unsuccessfully attempts at 150ft had us abandon the plan and we came back to the up-line.
We decided not to deployed an SMB for a change and deco on the up-line. There was no current at all and it was a nice deco with moon jellies swimming by.
Let's hope the south wind continues so we get decent conditions on Sunday.