BAUE Trip Reports


Older than
Newer than

Newest First
Oldest First


4/17/2009 Twin Peaks by Harry Wong -- [View this report only]
Bottom Team: Todd Lasman, Harry Wong
Visibility: 20' - 80' Time:10:00 AM
Temp: 45F - 50F Surge:  
Scooter: Gavin Long Burn Time: 0:50
Max Depth: 155FSW Avg Depth:  
Bottom Time:   Total Time:  
Bottom Gases: 21/35Deco Gases:EAN50
Backgas Config: Double LP80Deco Tanks:AL80
Deco Profile:
Some crystal clear abet cold water diving today at Point Lobos today.

No wonder deco was a bit cold at 45 degrees! I had to dump some gas out of my wing to put a little more in my drysuit to stay warmer, thank goodness for a drysuit and dry gloves!

Monastery Beach looked very calm and divable today too. Driving down the road leading to the parking lot of Whaler's Cove offered a very nice picture of calm waters and a promising dive. A calm Monastery Beach always attracts my attention to go explore the Lobos-Monastery traverse again. But not today, that would be a waster of helium in our tanks.

Todd and I arrived at 8 AM to a parking lot full of divers, quite a surprise for a weekday at Point Lobos. Kevin was helping a group of divers from Southern California get oriented with Lobos, a diver was putting together his inflatable soft boat which looked like way too much work for the portability. Beto was teaching Fundies. It was quite a crowd of divers.

We planned our dive and dove our plan of going out to Twin Peaks, doing some video and a nice relaxing drift deco.

The viz was nice enough in the cove to drop down at the ramp and scooter out underwater and it wasn't long before we got to Beto's Reef where we went west, hitting the Road. In the middle of the Road, we came across a nice school of Olive Rockfish, a first for me and I think I got some good video of them which I'll post later. We passed the Sea Pens and went around Twin Peaks counter-clockwise. Darn, both video lights failed so I relied on the ambient light at 150 feet for my video whch surprisingly came out well for no lights.

Todd led the way, freeing me up to do video. Unfortunately we couldn't spend too much time at Twin Peaks as it was time to turn back. So we followed the road, hitting the Sisters and then back to Beto's Reef.

To prepare for our ascent, we stowed our scooters by locking the trigger, depitching the prop and using the short tow cord to attach the scooter to our crotch D-Ring. We then ascended to 70 feet where we did our gas switch and Todd shot his bag with me running the deco. Beto's Reef below remained clear in sight and I could still see the bottom for most of our ascent!

Things were pretty relaxing, so I pulled out my wetnotes and challenged Todd to a game of Tic-Tac-Toe, which he readily excepted. I started with an X on one corner, he replied with an O in the center. This went on for another couple of turns and I knew that he knew the Tic-Tac-Toe pattern, so of course it ended up in a draw. Next time we'll do Hangman. :-)

There was very little current as I could still see Beto's reef on the ascent and when we came up we were at the mouth of Whaler's Cove out near Bird Rock, wow, so this was where Beto's Reef was in relation to that landmark!

Scootering back on the surface proved too much work with all the kelp so we ducked down 5-10 feet scootering under the beautiful kelp canopy traversing the various skylights of light that would push down into the water in the openings of the canopy where there was no kelp. It was almost surreal. Coming back in, I could easily spot several dive teams in the water and even Beto and Susan in their Fundies class. They had run some line over by Worm Patch for their students whch brought back fond memories my classes with them.

Equipment: doubles, deco bottle, Gavin scooter with mounted video camera.

45 to 50.7 degrees..burr! 90 minutes dive, 30 minute bottom time, 155 feet max depth, visiblity 60' to 80'

Tomorrow should be just as nice! But alas, I'll be at the Bay Area Dive Show in San Jose talking about Sinking A Ship in Monterey.