BAUE Trip Reports


Older than
Newer than

Newest First
Oldest First


1/16/2010 E3 aboard Escapade by Clinton Bauder -- [View this report only]
Discuss this report in the BAUE Forum

Bottom Team: Clinton Bauder, Jim Capwell, Joakim Linde
Visibility: 50' Time:10:00 AM
Temp: 56F Surge: 6'
Max Depth: 155FSW Avg Depth: 135FSW
Bottom Time: 0:35 Total Time: 1:20
Bottom Gases: 18/45Deco Gases:EAN50
Backgas Config: Double LP80Deco Tanks:AL80
Deco Profile:
Deep Stops
17, 6 up.
For once I thought I was ahead of the game getting ready for a weekend of diving. I had all my gear including the camera ready to go on Thu PM since I was giving a talk at the Santa Clara Koi Club on Friday and knew I wouldn't have time that night. By Saturday morning though the best laid plans were starting to go awry. First Matt, emailed and said he was sick and couldn't make it. Then John arrived at the dock and realized he didn't have his drysuit! 2 to 0 dive buddies in about 6 hours. Fortunately Jim and Joakim were OK with adding me to their team.

The weather was better than forecast so we started by looking at Naia's wall. Unfortunately there looked to be a ripping current there so we "settled" for E3. Dropping down the vis was nice and blue and there was no current. Sadly only one of my strobes turned on. The batteries are getting old and I think they now self-discharge fairly quickly so my planning ahead backfired.

Arriving on the bottom it was clear it wasn't going to matter much anyway. While visibility was great it was plenty surgy enough to make macro photographer dodgy. I tried anyway and got a few mediocre slug shots before the other strobe died too.

E3 Slug Pictures

Despite the camera troubles we had a very nice dive enjoying a big school of blue rockfish on the pinnacle and sea lions and sea nettles during the uneventful deco. Slightly putting a damper on things was the discovery back on the boat that my trusty UK Remora dive knife had gone missing. Probably has done 1400 dives with me though I think I only used it once or twice in anger (to cut fishing line).

For dive 2 we headed over to Ballbuster to meet the new Giant Pacific Octopus that has apparently moved in there. For some reason we never had the conversation about where the anchor might be if it wasn't exactly on top of the pinnacle. Naturally we found ourselves at 100 feet with no pinnacle in sight. We tried East, South, and then West with no success. Fortunately North was the correct answer and as it happened the pinnacle was only barely out of our visibility from where the anchor was. We quickly found the octopus and introduced ourselves before we ran out of time and headed back.

Lunch followed at Baldemiro's which current evidence suggests was a mistake, though it was delicious.