BAUE Trip Reports


Older than
Newer than

Newest First
Oldest First


2/19/2010 Cypress Canyon aboard Phil Sammet's RIB by Kevin Dow -- [View this report only]
Discuss this report in the BAUE Forum

Bottom Team: Joseph (Karl) Haywood
Visibility: 40' Time:12:16 PM
Temp: 55F Surge:  
Scooter: X-scooter Burn Time:  
Max Depth: 196FSW Avg Depth:  
Bottom Time: 0:40 Total Time: 1:38
Bottom Gases: 18/45Deco Gases:EAN50,O2
Backgas Config: Double HP100Deco Tanks:AL40,AL80
Deco Profile:
6 and 4's
20 and up
Today was one of those days that you just don't expect to happen. It was a "plan D" type of day. Earlier in the week Karl and I had made plans to dive out at CRB. Due to a bunch of things that just didn't end up in the cards. Plan B was to dive at Monestary but that just seemed like to much work, so we settled on plan C: a nice dive at Lobos.

As we were busy getting gear together, Phil Sammett comes motoring back into the cove after diving with Ken. As a joke we shout out to him, "Hey Phil now that you are back you want to take us out?"

When Phil thought about it for a moment and shouted back, "Sure!" plan D was formed.

After a quick load of the tanks into the boat and relaunched we put-putted out to Cypress Canyon. The surfaces was flat but you could tell that soon it would be changing as the wind was gradually picking up.

We dropped down the anchor line in about 90 feet of water and quickly scooted north east to deeper water to find the Cypress Canyon wall. First thing we noticed beyond the nice blue water was a very large school of rockfish just hanging out along the reef's wall. We continued to the east stopping occasionally to ooh and ah at the various critters we saw when that was when we saw it....Crab-zilla

The biggest sheepshead crab that I have every seen. This thing was so big that he blew through large. Passed by huge without even slowing down. Only word that comes to mind is gynormous! Clearly the king of the reef. He was gripping an elephant ear sponge in one of his massive pincers that I would easily be able to fit my hand between.

After admiring him for a bit we continued on past another pair of rock crabs (also quite large) that appeared to be kissing! The bigger one had his claws around the smaller and they were face to face.

On the way back we meet up with the school of rockfish again and spend our shallower time scooting back and forth along the wall before finally leaving it at 70' when we shot our bag.

Deco was mostly Jellyfish free with only a couple visiting us at the 20' stop.

We surfaced to see the wind had picked up with a bit of whitecaping so we quickly loaded gear back on board and headed for the cove.